Following the success of last summer’s Artist on Main Street projects, Faribault Main Street had the oppritunity to work with artists and creatives in the Faribault area for a second summer. Be on the look out for these great projects!
- Jessica Prill’s project is the Creative Crawl on Central Avenue. It will be from 5-8pm, June 14, July 19, and August 16 during the Car Cruises. A selected amount of downtown businesses will be open with placemaking events, specials, and interactive activities. Creatives will be selling their handmade items, offering take-and-makes, free family fun art activities at the Paradise, providing artist demonstrations, and performances.
- Dana Hanson is creating a large painting entitled ‘Faribault’s Founding Fathers” featuring Bishop Whipple, Taopi, and Alexander Faribault. Accompanying the painting will be a framed historical writeup overviewing the three figures’ respective contribution to Faribault. The piece will be displayed in the hallway between Buckham Memorial Library and Faribault Park and Rec.
- Jillian Steger will be implanting Sidewalk Surprises. Utilizing homemade stencils and temporary spray chalk, uplifting messages and fun imagery will decorate the sidewalks in historic downtown Faribault throughout the summer, with the goal of reminding people to appreciate the unexpected.
- Joey Feaster will be creating Fantasy Landscapes. Using digital design elements, the two acrylic pieces will be placed at the intersection of Central Ave and 3rd street to add color and imagery to an area that has ample foot and vehicle traffic.
- Jorge Ponticas is using oak to create Flight of Colors. This will be a sculpture of a hummingbird painted in bright colors, with a wing span of 7ft. This temporary instillation will be placed in the garden at Buckham Memorial Library.
- Marcia Morris-Beck will be directing ‘Playing with Theater”. This project will be a fun utilization of readers theater and feature simple costumes and props and allow students in middle school the opportunity to perform stories depicting the virtues. The performances will take place along Virtues Trail in Heritage Park.
- Troy Greenslade is working on The Past, Present and Faribault’s Future to create an image with photos of people’s faces that represent the past, present, and future of Faribault. The photos will be transposed on to a grid (mosaic tiles) with the Chamber’s newly designed fleur de lis image overlaid the top of the photos of the faces. The fleur de lis image will be transparent so you can see the faces below the fleur de lis image. There will be a copy on display at the Faribault Diversity Coalition, as well as a traveling version.
- Dee Bjork is working on a permanent project entitles ‘The Peony Capitol of the World’ which will be a large mural on the back of the Village Theatre Building with an image of the Brand Peony Farm truck loaded with a truck bed of peonies. The mural will complement existing murals which depict the historical aspects of our community and the Brand Peony Farm is another business that was known worldwide and started here in Faribault.
- Judy Saye-Willis is creating Coming Together II is a continuation of a 2018 Artists on Main Street project and will feature over dyed silk panels installed in the windows of vacant buildings. The intent continues to be to draw attention to the creative possibilities for empty storefronts in downtown Faribault.